Sunday, November 30, 2008

Barack Obama's Premise on Gun Control

My sons' in Generation Joshua will be debating this issue of gun control. For this reason I will study the topic myself. I would welcome comments from anyone who has thought or would like to think through this issue.

Obama believes that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. Yet, he qualifies his acceptance of the Second Ammendment as follows: But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can't constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it. http://www.ontheissues.org/domestic/Barack_Obama_Gun_Control.htm

I'm not an Obama fan, but the President-elect's quote seems like a reasonable premise on which to think through this issue. Is there something I'm missing?









No comments: